Monday 2 July 2007

It's June!




Not the month, the woman herself! June Dally-Watkins is staying with us here for the week, as she does a number of times each year (her being an ambassador for us and we being her charity of choice). It's been an experience for me to meet her now after doing one of her 'finishing' courses SO many years ago. Not sure that I came out very 'finished' but I've been re-inspired just now after she gave us a short workshop on Being The Best You Can Be. The image that will stay with me for some time yet is the startling effect of posture on one's being. June just carries herself well and it's part of who she is but I had no idea that that is one of the very great reasons that she looks so GREAT for having just become an octogenarian. She performed a number of serious slouches for us and she sudden looked all her years. Just like magic, as she re-poised herself, voila... an incredibly fine example of ageless womanhood! So, she had us all 'sitting up like jacki' (as me mudda would say) and speaking proper-like (still gotta werk on that one) and thinking about good health and nails and smiling with teeth showing and not bearing belly buttons with chandeliers hanging off them (as is the latest fashion), and in fact, not to go for latest fashions at all but to go for STYLE darlings! (I'm fine with abandoning fashion but acquiring style will be a challenge). I have to say though that I'm posturally inspired. I've got a new appreciation for and determination to be Properly Upright. My chiropractor will be pleased.

I sat with June at lunch one day this week and it was such a pleasure! I just have to know more about her so I've gone and bought her book on ebay and she's promised to sign it for me when she returns in September! (I feel like an excited kid.) I had to tell her the story of nana winning a radio competition (quite some years ago) because she guessed the mystery voice to be June Dally-Watkins. I'm sure that has endeared her to me greatly!

No comments: